RecycleMania FAQ & Contact
Frequently Asked Questions
How does the University of Maryland’s recycling program work?
- Step 1: You place your recyclables in recycling containers.
- Step 2: University staff remove the recyclables and place them in clear plastic bags outside buildings or in nearby green recycling dumpsters. This occurs at least twice per week.
- Step 3: University staff pick up the clear plastic bags and empty the recycling dumpsters and transport recyclables to our recycling vendors off campus.
How does the Recyclemania competition work?
Each week we report our recyclables and waste weights and Recyclemania calculates our standing in the competition relative to our enrollment, resident student population, and number of staff. Weekly ratings are publicized to the campus community throughout the competition on this site and through other venues on campus.
How well have we done in the past?
- Maryland recycled an average of 67,000 pounds per week, an 8% increase from 2008 and a 20% increase from 2007 - the first year we entered the competition.
- In 2009, we were the ACC winner Waste Minimization - generating only 51 cumulative pounds of waste per person - the least amount of waste of all the ACC schools participating and beating Clemson, Boston College, and UNC Chapel Hill (who came in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place).
- In 2010, we were the State of Maryland winner in recycling tonnage - recycling more than 400,000 cumulative pounds of materials
Can I bring recyclables from off campus?
No. Recyclemania rules specifically state that recyclables cannot be brought to campus from off-campus sites. Recyclemania is a fair and friendly on-campus recycling competition.
Have a question about recycling and waste reduction on campus? Need a desk-side recycling container (provided for University faculty and staff)? Have an idea for how we can increase our participation in recycling?
University Recycling and Solid Waste Program