Green Office Program
The Green Office Program engages staff, faculty and students in a voluntary, self-guided initiative that promotes best environmental practices at the University of Maryland.
The program supports and promotes offices that are taking steps toward reducing their environmental footprint.
A series of checklists and tools will guide you through the levels of certification. Join the expansive network of Green Office representatives (GO Reps) across campus helping to shift our campus culture, practices, and impact!
The goals of the program are to:
- Engage the campus community in activities that will strengthen the University of Maryland’s position as a national leader in sustainability
- Recognize and reward leadership in sustainability
- Educate participants about how and why to take action
- Support the University’s Climate Action Plan and Strategic Plan
- Further integrate sustainability into campus culture
- Conserve water, save energy, minimize waste and save money
- Promote campus policies that support sustainability
Why Participate? Being “green” is part of Terp culture. In 2008, the University Strategic Plan called on the campus to become a “national model for a green university.” The Green Office program will help the university achieve not only its strategic plan, but also its Climate Action Plan goals. The program can save money and critical natural resources, such as energy, water and forests. True sustainability happens when it is embedded into our core operation and part of everyone’s job. The Green Office program engages everyone in taking steps towards a more sustainable future.
What is an office? Define your own office! An office is a work area (administrative, academic or service) that shares common areas and resources. It may include just one or all of the offices within a unit or division. You may have an office of 6 people or 60 people — all sizes are welcome to participate! Please include part-time and full-time staff, students (including interns) and faculty. Your office should include kitchens, meeting rooms, storage rooms and other commonly shared areas.
What will your Green Office Receive? Besides pride in a job well done and a greener, healthier planet, you will receive:
- Tools, tips, resources and a support network to help you lead progress in sustainability in your office.
- An award to hang in your front office (or other common area).
- Acknowledgement of your certification level on the Green Office website.
- A digital logo to place on your own website that recognizes your GO status.
- A digital footer for your email signature.
- Ongoing support to complete, maintain and advance your certification level.