The University of Maryland Department of Dining Services is excited to announce available
student staff positions to support the UMD Campus Pantry for 2019!
The mission of the UMD Campus Pantry is to alleviate food hardship among UMD-College Park
students, faculty and staff by providing emergency food to University of Maryland College Park
students, faculty, and staff in need. Learn more about the Campus Pantry here:
The Campus Pantry Team is seeking student staff members for employment for the Spring,
Summer and Fall 2019 semesters. Students working with the Campus Pantry will support the
operations of the Pantry for approximately 10 hours per week at $10.25 per hour. We are hoping
to build a team that will be with us the entire academic year. Student Staff will be required to
work during Campus Pantry operating hours, including donation and food sorting shifts and food
Campus Pantry Student Staff will assist with the following projects and
● Distribute food to Pantry clients.
● Interact with and assist Pantry clients.
● Receive food donations and inventory Pantry supplies and food.
● Prepare and distribute additional resources to Pantry clients.
● Prepare weekly summaries of Pantry activities and semester reports of Pantry
● Support creation of marketing materials such as flyers, newsletter updates, and social
● Collaborate with on- and off-campus organizations to support the Pantry.
● Implement projects for the continued evaluation and improvement of the Pantry.
Qualifications: Campus Pantry Student Staff must have strong analytical skills and attention to
detail. Verbal communication and organizational skills are also essential. Student Staff should be
aware of the sensitive, confidential nature of working with Pantry clients and be comfortable in a
service setting. Familiarity with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) is required.
Familiarity with food service/food safety, nutrition, and social justice issues is a plus. We will
strongly consider your schedule in selecting our team.
In your application, please indicate your availability on the following days:
● Mondays between 8:30 am to 5:00 pm
● Fridays between 8:30 am to 5:00 pm
We are willing to work with your schedule. We have had students that worked Wednesdays, and
Thursdays. Since Friday is distribution day, every student team member has to work on Friday.
Prerequisites: Student Staff are expected to have a strong interest in social justice, a professional
work ethic, and a desire to make the campus more sustainable and equitable. Student staff must be
committed to the mission of the Campus Pantry. In addition, Student Staff must be disciplined and
self- motivated as they will take the lead on their own projects.
Internship Credit: Academic credit may be available for this position. Students must talk with
their academic advisor to see if internship credit is available through their academic department.
Students are responsible for determining internship requirements, such as hours worked and any
academic projects, as well as covering the tuition- related implications of accepting the internship.
The Department of Dining Services will not pay for course credits.
To apply: Send an updated resume and cover letter describing your interest in the position to
firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Campus Pantry Student Staff Application” in the subject line.
Priority deadline is Sunday November 18.
In your cover letter, please provide answers to the following questions:
● Why do you want to work with the Campus Pantry?
● What are your qualifications for the position?
● Describe your previous experience with community service and/or food
access and nutrition programs/projects.
● What specific ideas and goals do you bring to this position?
● What is your availability for the spring semester (if known)?