The University of Maryland Department of Dining Services is excited to announce available
student staff positions to support the Farmers Market at Maryland for the 2019 Market season!
The Farmers Market at Maryland has been serving the UMD community since 2012 by
bringing fresh, local foods directly to campus. Our hope in establishing the Farmers Market at
Maryland is to introduce students to buying and supporting local food initiatives. All of the
Market vendors come from within 250 miles and provide healthy, sustainable foods or other
products for our campus community to enjoy. We believe that access to fresh foods and local
farmers fosters a positive relationship with one’s community, and that the Farmers Market at
Maryland is a great way to connect - “farm to campus”.
The Farmers Market at Maryland Team is seeking student staff members for employment for the
2019 season. The Farmers Market Student Staff position requires 10 hours per week offering
$10.25 per hour. The 2019 season will start on January 28, 2019, and continue through December
9, 2019. Primary work hours will take place during the Farmers Market at Maryland operating
hours on Wednesdays. Additional hours will be scheduled in office throughout the week for the
promotion & support of the Farmers Market.
The Farmers Market Student Staff will support the Market Manager in the following aspects:
● Market Operations
○ Set-up and break-down of market on Wednesdays.
○ Provide customers with information concerning the market and vendors.
○ Maintain a safe and clean market environment during and at break down of
market, including proper equipment storage.
○ Support the Farmers Market Information Table through set-up, staffing, and
assisting with special event (etc. tabling).
○ Provide vendor support, cooking demos support, and other duties as assigned by
the Market Manager.
○ Develop and manage student volunteer program through scheduling, promoting
teamwork building, and organizing volunteer opportunities on non-market days.
● Promotion and Marketing
○ Promote the Farmers Market through social media and web-based content. This
includes weekly content for Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
○ Create banners, posters, and flyers.
○ Visit vendors with Market Manager and develop reports about vendors to be
shared with Farmers Market at Maryland community.
○ Public relations such as working at special events and assistance with outreach
and brand representation
● Record Keeping
○ Maintain customer count log during Market hours. Keeping log updated to a
shared Google Sheet.
○ Support Farmers Market program assessment and evaluation through
development and collection of questionnaires, market surveys, and other metrics.
Physical Demands/ Work Environment
● The Farmers Market operates rain or shine. So extreme weather conditions should be
expected – heat, cold, wind, and rain.
● Heavy lifting of chairs, tables, tents, and other equipment – 50 lbs. Max
Market Work Hours – Every Wednesday ( Closed July 4 , 2019 for observation of
● Regular Hours – April 3, 2019 through November 20, 2019 hours are 10:00 am to 3:30
● Summer Hours – May 8, 2019 through August 21, 2019 hours are 10:00 am to 2:30 pm
● Hours can be changed at the discretion of the Market Manager.
Qualifications: Successful candidates should consider themselves to be hard-working,
self-motivated, detail oriented, and able to demonstrate good communication skills under
pressure. The student staff will also have the opportunity to develop and suggest new ideas and
programs for the Farmers Market. Experience with social media, blogging, and programs such
as Photoshop and Canva is highly desirable. This position may count toward internship credit.
How to Apply: Email your resume and cover letter explaining why you would like to work with
the Farmers Market at Maryland to TerpMarketManager@umd.edu with subject line “Farmers
Market Internship. Priority deadline is Sunday, November 18.