About Us: The entire College Park campus is a convenient and accessible arboretum, a collection of trees and plants maintained for scientific and educational study and public enjoyment. There are many lovely gardens in our 1250 acre campus which require care and maintenance.
Our goals are:
- To display our campus landscape, forestry, plants, and natural heritage
- To educate our community and visitors about our campus’s natural environment
- To model the University of Maryland’s vision of a green university
Intern Duties: Intern will focus on stormwater management, but will assist with all aspects of Arboretum work, including:
- Performing stormwater maintenance activities, such as weeding, pruning, and planting
- Supporting volunteer project days, such as gathering tools, and transporting plants or mulch
- Attending project update meetings with staff
- Assisting with Arboretum social media on Facebook, Instagram, and our blog
- Following established safety procedures for use of equipment and tools
Learning Objectives: By working closely with the staff of the Arboretum and Botanical Garden, the intern will gain experience in many aspects of landscape facility maintenance, sustainability, and environmental impact. The campus is a large and diverse environment with many different stakeholders, from students to professors to visitors to staff. The intern will learn skills in customer service, multi-tasking, trouble-shooting/problem-solving, adapting to different situations, researching, coordination at events, creating and maintaining inventories, editing promotional materials, communication, organization, time management, and event management.
- Experience in gardening and at least one year of coursework in horticulture, landscape architecture, plant sciences, engineering, or related field.
- Ability to commit to a consistent schedule throughout the semester
- Ability to follow directions in regards to grounds care and maintenance and use of equipment
- Ability to work quickly with attention to detail both independently and with a team
- Must interact with many different types of people while maintaining a professional demeanor
- Proficiency with Google Apps: Gmail, Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc.
- Must be free from debilitating pollen allergies and the like
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Stand and walk continuously
- Lift, stoop, and bend for extended periods
- Wear and work with personal protective equipment (gloves, goggles, etc.)
Time Commitment: Minimum of 10 hours a week, maximum of 20 hours a week
Schedule: Monday - Friday, timing flexible
Supervisors: Michael Carmichael, Stormwater Manager
Compensation: Unpaid, but course credit may be available
Location: Arboretum Outreach Center, Building 156, 3931 Stadium Drive
To Apply: Send a cover letter, which includes your availability, and resume to email@example.com with the title “Stormwater Management Internship Application” in the subject line