How to Get Certified:
The Green Chapter Program encourages fraternity and sorority members to adopt habits that conserve water, save energy, minimize waste and save resources. Because Greek Life accounts for 17% of the student population, your habits can make a big difference! Your participation in this program strengthens the University of Maryland’s position as a national leader in sustainability.
The Green Chapter program, a partnership between the Department of Fraternity and Sorority Life and the Office of Sustainability, seeks to motivate sustainable practices by providing guidelines, ongoing motivation, and recognition for best practices.
The Green Chapter program has been developed to support and integrate the Department of Fraternity and Sorority Life’s guiding philosophy / 6 pillars:
- Values congruence
- Individual responsibility
- Peer accountability
- You have a choice
- Have fun
- Recognize and reward leadership in sustainability
- Educate members about how and why to take action
- Encourage and support behavior change to conserve water, save energy, minimize waste and save money
- Promote campus policies that support sustainability
- Engage the Greek community in activities that will strengthen the University of Maryland’s position as a national leader in sustainability
- Support the University’s Climate Action Plan and Strategic Plan
- Further integrate sustainability into campus culture