Certified Green Chapters 2018!
Congratulations to the following 7 chapters for completing all program requirements during the 2017-18 academic year to become Green Chapters. Thank you for leading the Greek community in Sustainability.
- Alpha Chi Omega Sorority
- Alpha Omicron Pi Sorority
- Delta Sigma Phi Fraternity
- Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Inc.
- Sigma Kappa Sorority
- Theta Chi Fraternity
- Zeta Beta Tau Fraternity
Green Chapter Program
The Green Chapter Program encourages fraternity and sorority brothers and sisters to adopt habits that conserve water, save energy, minimize waste and save money. Because Greek Life accounts for 17% of the student population, your habits can make a big difference! Your participation in this program strengthens the University of Maryland’s position as a national leader in sustainability.
The Green Chapter program, a partnership between the Department of Fraternity and Sorority Life and the Office of Sustainability, seeks to motivate sustainable practices by providing guidelines, ongoing motivation, and recognition for best practices.
The Green Chapter program has been developed to support and integrate the Department of Fraternity and Sorority Life’s guiding philosophy / 6 pillars:
1. Values congruence
2. Individual responsibility
3. Peer accountability
5. You have a choice
6. Have fun
Green Chapter supports and encourages sustainable actions in the Greek community. The goals of the program are to:
- Recognize and reward leadership in sustainability
- Educate brothers/sisters about how and why to take action
- Encourage and support behavior change to conserve water, save energy, minimize waste and save money
- Promote campus policies that support sustainability
- Engage the Greek community in activities that will strengthen the University of Maryland’s position as a national leader in sustainability
- Support the University’s Climate Action Plan and Strategic Plan
- Further integrate sustainability into campus culture
These stakeholders have contributed to the development of the Green Chapter Program:
· Greek students
· Office of Sustainability
· Department of Fraternity and Sorority Life
· House Managers
· Executive Committees
· Greek Life Sustainability committee
· Dining Services
· Recycling and Solid Waste Office
· Student leaders
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.